turquoise

Sunday, September 9, 2012

September Blooms

A blushing lady among her peers.
There is something truly magical about the progression of seasons from one to another.  From summer to fall there is a tangible change in the air; all of a sudden the wind changes direction and the hazey heat twists and turns away to be replaced with a cool breeze flavoured with the barest hint of chill. Here in Montreal we were blessed (some might say cursed) with a very hot summer, hot and sticky and humid enough to have me longing for the refreshing crispness of autumn. Earlier this week I was on my way from work to vote (the Quebec provincial elections took place just after Labour Day) and the day was a blaze of tropical humidity. Now, I am all in favour of warm summer weather (I love wearing sandals and summer dresses as much as the next gal) and far be it from me to complain about 30 + degree weather in Canada in September but as I trudged to the polling station, the heat of the asphalt radiating up through my shoes into my legs, my cotton blouse plastered to my back and my thick curls angrily escaping my coiffe in a fierce frizzy frenzy, I admit to being ready for Fall. "Give me chilly winds, pretty boots with long sweaters, shawls and scarves anyday!" I muttered to myself.
A Summer Souvenir
Then something caught my eye; I passed a house with flowering bushes shaping the driveway. I did a double take and stopped in my tracks. They looked like...could they be? They were roses!! Roses in full bloom in September! I don't know why but I seem to have a special kinship with roses (I adore all flowers but roses really do it for me). My favourite fragrances and images always feature roses and even my favourite colour shares this name in French. I stooped down to catch the soft rosey sweet scent of these pale pink and white beauties and couldn't help but smile. I thought to myself, "Well here now, if these pretty blooms are basking in this extended summer weather than so shall I!" After voting I changed into my summeriest of summer outfits and made the most out of the heated September afternoon. Later that day I reflected on the fleeting beauty of summer roses; just a few short weeks and they're gone for another year, just like summer. One blustery windstorm, one harsh rain and their delicate petals are shorn from their stems - so too can the summer be wrenched away with one cracking thunderstorm, leaving the whisper of autumn behind.
Indeed, I made a vow that very day; to savour and enjoy every day for what it is. To waste no time longing and wishing for better times to suit my mood, but to recognize the beauty in the Now and let Tomorrow bring what it will. Here's wishing you all the beauty of the season and the awareness to appreciate every moment.
"Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses. "
- Alphonse Karr

1 comment: