turquoise

Monday, March 24, 2014

Zen Bathroom Makeover!!!

So....

For the past several weeks I have been consumed with  "renovating" my ensuite bathroom - I say "renovating" in quotations because it really isn't renovating - because with a a new house, a wedding and grand honeymoon trip coming up in 6 months, who has the budget for "renovating"?! Let's call it "revamping"... I've been consumed with "revamping" my bathroom and am on a "paint it white" high, I have the Rolling Stones song "Paint it Black" in my head except I keep changing the words. "I see a wood chair and I want to paint it whi-ite!" 

Here's my inspiration! Photo from Pinterest
 
Being an interior designer (especially one with a penchant for the Victorian Shabby Chic look) I am particularly particular about colour. One aspect of our new home that pleased me (and there are many) was the colour the bedroom and ensuite bathroom were painted - a fresh spring green. Not too minty, not too limey, just right. *I just realized I'm the Goldie Locks of paint colour!

But along with the wall colour came the bathroom counter/cabinetry colour! An icky poo-brown (and shiny to boot!) painted on freestanding cabinets that looked more like they were intended for files than toiletries!

Here's the Before:

It all started with those pooey cabinets...
Now I wish I could say I "staged" it to look this horrible but I confess, I was so disparaged by the ickyness of those cabinets that I didn't pay my attention to order and design... I actually love that little rug though (an amazing find down in Vermont years back) but it wasn't right for the bathroom. This place needed to be a haven, a zen-like retreat... it needed to be painted white!

Now here's the After:

I can breathe again!
Much better n'est ce pas? The fresh green colour really plays well and is accented beautifully with the primarily white furnishings. You'll notice the vertical picture frame on the wall to the right was also given a makeover with "Old White" Chalk Paint TM by Annie Sloan. Look closely into the mirrored wall reflection... see the white painted wall cabinet? That is my piéce de résistance (see below):

Before:

Beautiful stained pine wood cabinet made by my future father-in-lay (he makes lovely pieces)
After:
Shabbified for a new look!
I love how the collectibles inside are now beautifully highlighted! I painted the interior, trims and hardware in Country Grey (one of my favourite Annie Sloan colours). The best part is the handles on the sink cabinets are also painted in Country Grey - did someone say "fabulous"?!

Poopie Cabinet Before
Fabulous Shabby Chic Cabinet After!

In addition to the bigger pieces, I knew the little accent pieces were just as important (if not vital) to contributing to the Zen Factor of this bathroom. It wouldn't do any good for me to have these white cabinets if everything else was still a jumble of colours and patterns. So I took my paintbrush to a cute little wooden shelf I keep next to the bathtub for soaps and bubble bath bottles...

  
Cute Collapsible Wrack Before
Sweet Shabby Shelf After!
To change things up (and because I had run out of Old White) I used Pure White Chalk Paint on this shelf but I personally find Pure White a little too white, a little too hard on the eyes, so I rustiqued (I think I just made up a word there) I rustiqued it up by brushing on some dark wax over the clear to give it some patina.

Finally, I had this amazing pair of pillar candle holders from Homesense that I also use around the tub. The wood on them was beautiful but I knew they'd be even more gorgeous fitting into the "Paint It White" mantra!


Exotic and a little out of place Before...
Fresh, clean and elegant After.
You'll notice I did very little (if any) distressing on these pieces, the reason for this being that the picture frames already have an antiqued look and I wanted this bathroom to look fresh and new and clean and as sleek as possible. I wanted to play with texture and showcase the contrast between distressed and smooth. I am delighted by the results!


Light and bright and Zen
My big oval tub with all my goodies around!
Believe it or not this project has been ongoing for a couple of weeks, only because I kept procrastinating on completing the painting (a project here and there in the evenings after work), The truth is it really could have been completed in a week max because THAT'S how fast Chalk Paint works!

I hope you all find your bit of Zen today!

Love,

Dawn

xox

1 comment:

  1. I am flabbergasted at the beautiful results of everything you did! The bathroom has been transformed for the better! Amazing, Dawn!! You did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete